Mar 30, 2011

Florida ICED Cake Competition


Last weekend on March 27th, I took the plunge into the world of cake competitions. I will be honest and say that I am not the competitive type. I don't go into competitions knowing I am going to win or talking myself up, it is just not who I am. I am a self critic and I love feedback about the work I do.

 I guess I am more of the performer type. I love to share the talents I have and love to get feedback, but the winning and loosing is just not for me. I like it when everyone is a winner. So anyway...competing is very difficult for me, but I know it was a good, albeit giant and very scary step for me in my cake career.
 So the big question...Did I win?...No, but I can tell you about the cake I made and all of the wonderful things I learned. I am so glad that I went and participated in the competition. After setting up my cake I was able to take 2 amazing classes by Rebecca Sutterby of Sugar Creations.
She taught a Perfect Fondant class where I learned all the ways I did it wrong for the competition and all the ways to do it right from now on. She also taught a mold making class on how to make silicone molds for use with fondant, gum paste and isomalt.
 
So, onto my cake. The competition's theme was "Romantic Wedding Dresses" Each contestant was to pick a wedding dress. Any wedding dress you wanted and then base your cake design on that dress. I chose the dress "Camellia" by Rivini. The first time I saw it, I was amazed by how simple, beautiful and unique it was.
 I loved the large rosettes that cover the entire bottom half of the dress. It was stunning and romantic. I searched the web and magazines for months for different dresses, but kept coming back to this one.
 The rosettes are made of gum paste. I rolled them out very thin with a pasta machine, then cut them into 3 different strips, stacked them on each other and formed them to the cake. It took many many hours, but it was so fun to watch it come together.
 Every time I make a cake it amazes me how a few ingredients like sugar, flour, and butter can be combine in so many different way to create something beautiful and delicious at the same time.
Next year the competition theme is "Masquerade Ball" and you better believe that I will be ready for it. Also, Thank you to Lisa Menz and Melanie Judge who put together the competition. it was a huge success and I am so glad that I was a part of it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Wendy. This one is AMAZING!! If it had been me, you'd have won!!!

    ReplyDelete