Oct 8, 2010

A Spooky Halloween!



Tonight we celebrated my daughter's 4th Birthday! We had a wonderful time. She decided this year that she wanted a "spooky" Halloween birthday party. A few weeks ago she and I sat at the computer and I showed her pictures of haunted house cakes. She kept saying, "Nope, not spooky enough" So I got creative and decided to make a Topsy turvey haunted house cake. She loved it and I had a blast making it.

I love pumpkins! They are my favorite part of Fall, so naturally the Haunted House needed a pumpkin patch. As I was making all the little pumpkins I was thinking of the children's story The Big Pumpkin. I could just see the witch, the ghost, and the Vampire tugging and pulling on one of those pumpkins.




My daughter wanted to make sure that there were ghosts and "spooky stuff "on the cake. I did my best to make it "spooky" without making it scary.
I loved watching her and her friends tonight all dressed up in their costumes playing games and parading around the house Trick or Treating. We played Pin the Heart on the Skeleton and we took turns trying to toss chocolate kisses into a jack-o-lantern. Then all of the adults went into a seprate room of the house and the kids paraded around the house knocking on bedroom doors to get candy in the candy bags they had decorated during the party.



Details about the cake...if you are interested...The top and bottom tiers are Vanilla cake with Almond Buttercream icing. The middle tier is a Chocolate cake with chocolate Buttercream. All of the decorations are fondant except the ghosts which are Royal icing.
Extra tidbit...my daughter didn't even have any cake:) I cut the cake and she said, "I think I just want icecream" oh, I love her!
.

This is the back of out Haunted House.
I hope you all have a fun and spooky Halloween!
Boo!

1 comment:

  1. Love the cake! How did you bake the cake layers in that shape?

    ReplyDelete