Sep 25, 2009

My Grandmother





I have been thinking a lot about my Grandmother recently. She past away two years ago at the age of 89. I know I have talked a lot about her on my blog but my fabulous aunt has been kind enough to give my copies of my grandmothers cakes. My Grandma, has been the person who has most inspired my to decorate cakes. She loved the sugar arts, although I don't think it was called Sugar Art in her day, it was just plain, cake decorating.


I remember as a young girl, going with my grandma to a wonderous place called C. Kay Cummings Candies, in Salt Lake City, Utah. She worked for Kay Cummings out of her home and made beautiful tiny icing decorations. She would make thousands of them, then package them up and off we would go to the chocolate shop.



Once, when I was older she took me on a tour of the quaint beautiful little chocolate factory. I was in awe as I watched the workers laying our shiny thin layers of chocolate onto long tables, then adding another thin layer of green mint chocolate, then yet another layer of shiny beautiful chocolate. My mouth would water as I watched them cut the Trafalgar squares and place them in boxes. I loved that place, it smelled heavenly. I wanted to stay there forever.



C.Kay Cummings is still there, on 33rd South and 20th East. On the way home after the funeral services for Grandma, I went to Cummings with my mom, brothers and sisters. The teenage cashier probably thought we were crazy as we broused the shop talking about the momories we had of grandma making this candy or that candy. It was a great way to end a day of rememberance and love for our grandma.



These are her wedding cakes. She was famous for her Carrot Cake and Spice Cake. I loved going to her house on days she had baked. She would save the cake tops and use the extra frosting to frost the thin top layers and stack them on top of each other. One of the 1st questions out most visitors mouths was "Hi, Grandma, got any cake tops?" Still now the cake tops are my favorite part of the cake.



https://www.finecandies.com/index.php

1 comment:

  1. I remember going with my grandma to a church one evening and waiting for her to finish a cake for a reception the next evening. She did amazing stuff with royal icing, and I wish that she hadn't gotten Alzheimers so that I could have learned from her. Sad, but my wedding cake was the very last one she did.

    ReplyDelete