Jul 12, 2009

Happy Birthday MOM!!!





I know it has been a long time since I posted something, but I have a good excuse. My mom and sister have been visiting me here in Florida. I grew up out west in Utah, and I only get to see her about twice a year. So when I do see her, she gets all of my time and attention. She is the coolest mom in the world. We have a great time just talking and laughing.

We did do some fun things, like visit Kennedy Space Center on the 4th of July and pet baby alligators after an exciting airboat ride through the Everglades. We saw 6 alligators while out on the boat, one of them, a huge alligator about 10 feet long swam right up to the boat where my mom was. It was a little frightening, but very fun.


Toward the end of the trip, we celebrated my mom's birthday. She and her mother (my grandma) are the ones who have taught me all about cake decorating. My mom has spent hundred, if not thousands of hours making cakes, with my Grandma, with me, with my sisters and for neighbors. So for her birthday, she wanted me to make her a cake and teach her all that I know about fondant, because with as many cake as my mom has made, she has never used fondant.





We had a wonderful time, talking and playing with fondant. It was the most fun I have had making a cake.






She designed her own cake. We decided to go with a Mary Engelbreit-ish style. We both love her work. My mom also loves cherries, so she came up with the idea of a bowl of cherries on top. I hope you enjoy seeing the cake as much as we had fun making it.


The cake was Red Velvet with Almond Buttercream icing. The cherries were made of fondant and we used stems from real cherries. Yummy!!!

Happy Birthday MOM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment